9.14.2010

Car Free: the beginning

this is an old photo, but one of my favorites. its of the protest at the beginning of the Olympics in Vancouver. The police ended the march, there was quickly more cameras capturing the event than there were protestors, and whoa - look to side: that's the bus scooting by to get its people on their way! Yes, go Translink!!

my intention for this blog was to post photos that I've taken, but I'd like to expand to include things / stories / comments of things that I'm up to.

today, I committed to not using my car for a month. I will be able to move around via transit, walking, cycling or car share. I already live a fairly car-free lifestyle, yet I own my car. So I thought this would be a good chance for me to really see how much and in what ways I use my car.

my prediction is that I'll see that I use it when I'm lazy. I already commute to work on the bus, I live downtown where I can walk, and I have a market just a few blocks away. Recently, I bought a fabulous new commuter bike (Jorge is his name!). Its now time to look at my habit of driving.

i thought since i was looking at my habits, i should go ahead and make the leap and look at how I spend my money as well. For the month, i'll chronicle my commuting and my expenditures. i suspect i spend a lot more on eating out than i hope. A girl's gotta eat...

So day 1: bus, walk, and seabus.
$2 laundry and $10 donated to cancer research (aren't I an angel?!)
evening yoga class: priceless.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I remember one of your first "communter" cruisers, wasn't she yellow!

How are you these days....

Dave Reid

parker said...

Reid!! How I miss you and my boys! Fond memories of that awesome yellow bike. Didn't we do purple stripes on it?